How do I make an RJ-45 connector into a hardware loop back device (is that an ethernet jammer in your pocket) ? (or how the hell do you boot an Indy with out an ethernet cable)
2 strands (short) of coper from any normal cable (such as CAT-5)
1 RJ-45 head
Crimper (or other device to punch down the head)
To create the pocket sized wonder with many uses you simply connect pins 1-6 together with the first strand of copper. Then the second wire goes from pins 2-3.
(Also: don't forget your TIA/EIA wiring colors! Those colors are magical and make this work!
If you have a fluke tester it will report the device as having a short on pins 1-6 and 2-3. This device is a way to have other devices treat it as if it has layer one connectivity.
The many uses of this are almost never ending.
- Plug into the ethernet port of your indy so it can boot without an ethernet cable.
- Insert into free port of hub (quite fun).
- Insert into free port on switch with a large broadcast domain (even if vlaning is in use this can be activated by pinging the broadcast or by any broadcast traffic that is in the same collision domain).
- Give to local starbucks employee for t-mobile network fun.
- Get extra credit in school.
- Impress the ladies/guys.
- Give them away and explain how they work.
- Build them into each side of a cable and replace patch cable where needed (*wink*)
Read more of
Frequently Questioned Answers   (mod.2010-02-10)
438.   What is an anarchosexual? What is Anarchosexuality?
305.   Why was strick's workstation at Versant named GWARN?
242.   What bugs exist in the Nokia 7190 firmware?
226.   How do you eat vegetarian in central Texas?
225.   What do I use to write cool Palm software?
( combee/2001-09-21 )
224.   Which Yak people have been in the news recently?
( macki/2001-05-29 )
220.   Where can I find serial/parallel controllable, backlit LCD screens?
( sidd/2001-05-30 )
193.   What are some interesting tech related State Historic Landmarks in California?
180.   Why is that dwarf always following me?
154.   How can I integrate PGP5 functionality into the pine mail reader?
125.   How does the % operator work in Python?
124.   How do I make common modifications to my Gnu Emacs .emacs file?
62.   What is the diameter of the World Wide Web?